Monday, February 11, 2008

Doves

And all you said was,
'there is a time and
a place to grow up.'
But maybe I did not
want to, maybe if I
acted my age, then life
would become too serious.
I knew how to masquerade, and
play the part of the full-fledged,
but I wasn't ready to
take off my mask of
youth. Perhaps I had to
leave my puerile days too
soon, and this was my
way of not letting go.
Because once it slipped out
of my fingers, that's it,
there would be no going
back. No more ditching plans,
and staying out for days,
no more packs upon packs
of cigarettes just because of
boredom, or lack of better
things to do. That's it,
no more midnight bike rides,
or drinking until dawn in
the park. I could see
all my glorious wasted days,
falling away. Now, it's strange.
Part of me wants to
follow in my father's footsteps,
part of me wants to
be a man like he
is; give everything I can,
and raise my own children,
and be as loving and
selfless to my wife as
he is to my mother.
Part of me wants to
get up when it's still
dark to put food on
the table, and live a
quiet existence, up in the
hills of Maine or Vermont,
with my pen and paper,
stove and axe, while the
other part of me wants
to leave my mark of
existence on society, by doing
nothing, and doing it well.
Part of me wants to
stay in bed, tangled in
the sheets, skin to skin,
all day long; champagne and parliaments,
no responsibilities but to love,
and to be loved. An
existence that says 'I did
what I did.' Maybe those
days will never be quite
over, they will be like
a bird on a wire,
balancing when the wind blows.

No comments: